The kombucha scoby (Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast) is an important component when making Kombucha tea. TheKombucha SCOBY is a white looking alien thing that floats on top of the jar. You’ll need a SCOBY in order to start the fermentation process. The SCOBY will eat the sugar you added in the tea. This will give you a great probiotics drink that is very essential in detoxifying your body. The people of Ancient China considered this healthy drink to bean Immortal Health Elixir.
Achieving the kombucha SCOBY
There are already many stores that carry Kombucha teas in a bottle. You can make a SCOBY from raw kombucha, and it is quite simple. Below are the instructions to achieve and grow the Kombucha SCOBY.
- Purchase an unflavored bottle of raw Kombucha. The GT’s raw kombucha works nicely.
- Make a cup of green or black tea. As the water becomes hot, add 1-2 tablespoons of white sugar. Mix until the sugar is dissolved thoroughly. Allow it cool down completely. Adding 1 cup of sweet tea in the bottle of the ready-made, raw Kombucha can give the bacteria and yeast an additional food for consumption when you are growing the new culture.
- Pour the raw Kombucha in a glass jar and allow the tea to cool down.
- Cover the jar using a paper coffee filter or a tight weaved dish towel ans secure it with a tight rubber band.
- Ferment the tea in a warm spot with a temperature of 68-86 F. Keep it out of direct sunlight.
- After 1 week it is usual time to see the baby SCOBY that is developing through the surface of its liquid. A brand new SCOBY will start off as a clear blob or film that is slowly becoming whiter, thicker and less translucent as time passes. If there are no signs of a developing SCOBY within 3 weeks, reject the batch and start over. It is recommended that you wait until the SCOBY have a thickness of at least ¼ inch. In order to reach such thickness, you need to wait for at least 30 days.
- Retain the SCOBY and Kombucha for when you are making the first batch of Kombucha.
This is a one of a kind beverage that is consumed by many people nowadays. They choose to use this in order to fight different chronic diseases and infections, and therefor leading to an improvement in their health. Since this is having such a significant impact in peoples health, it is wise to obtain or brew your own kombucha.